What browser do you recommend I use?
For the best user experience when applying for a grant, we recommend using the most current version of one of the following browsers: Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, or Safari. It is fine to use Internet Explorer, but you may encounter some minor technical issues.
If we were awarded a grant last year but our new request is for a different program or purpose, should we complete the New/Returning application or the Renewal application?
You would complete a RENEWAL application because your request will include a report on last year’s grant.
Why can’t I find the application form?
Once you are logged into the Online Grants Manager, click on the “Apply” button on the top toolbar. You will see a list of application forms available to fill out. Application forms are only made available online one month prior to grant deadlines. If it is more than one month before the deadline, the application form for that deadline will not be viewable yet. If it is within one month of the deadline and you still cannot access the form, please contact Foundation staff for assistance.
How do I upload files to the application?
For application questions that request an uploaded attachment, click the Browse button and then choose the desired document from your computer. The file name of the uploaded file will be indicated under the Browse button. Then save your application (button at the bottom of page). Pay attention to your file names – remove extra periods or replace them with a dash or underscore character. You may only upload one document per question.
Can I upload more than one file in one upload field?
No, Applicants can only upload a single document in response to an upload question. If an applicant has more than one file they need to upload, they need to combine the files either electronically or via scanning.
There are two methods applicants can use:
- If the files to be uploaded are in a format that is editable (such as Word or Excel), the applicant may take multiple Word documents or Excel sheets and combine them into one file.
- If the files are not easily edited (PDF or physical copies), they may be combined by utilizing the Fax-to-File tool. For example, sending two resumes in a fax would result in one PDF file containing both resumes.
How do I use the Fax to File tool?
Using the fax tool is simple:
- To start, click the Fax to File link on the left hand side of the screen.
- Then click the Request a Fax # button and you will be presented with a toll-free fax number. You have this number for 20 minutes before it expires.
- Fax your document to the number provided. Send a separate fax for each document and do not include a cover sheet. All faxed documents will be automatically converted to .pdf format.
- After you have faxed each separate document click the Finished Faxing button to see your list of files.
- Download your converted documents to your computer and save them.
- Upload the documents to the appropriate questions on the online form.
Why am I having trouble uploading a file?
There a few different reasons one may experience file upload issues. 1) File names: Remove extra periods or replace them with a dash or underscore character. 2) File size: Files that exceed the maximum file size limit will cause an error. Compress the files or use Fax to File to create a smaller file.
What is the maximum allowable file upload size?
The file size limit is noted next to the Browse button and the system will not accept files greater than this limit. Some users have trouble with appropriate settings on a scanner and end up with larger file sizes. If these documents are converted using the Fax to File tool, the file size can be dramatically decreased.
How do I delete a file that I’ve uploaded to the application?
There are two ways to remove an uploaded file from an application. 1) Once the file has been uploaded, a delete button will appear below the file name. Clicking Delete will remove the file. 2) A file can be deleted and replaced by uploading a new file. Simply upload the correct document to the question and the old one will be erased.
What budgets should we submit?
We require two Organizational budgets: one for the year in which the funds will be spent and one for the previous year. Therefore organizational budgets should be for last year and the current year OR the current year and next year depending on when the funds will be spent. If your budget for next year has not yet been approved, you can send a draft. In addition, we require one Program/Project budget if applicable.
Do I need a fiscal sponsor?
Our grants must be paid to a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit or to a public entity, such as a county or state agency. All others will need to use a fiscal sponsor. If you have a fiscal sponsor, be sure to provide both the information requested about the fiscal sponsor’s organization and information about your work/proposed project including revenue, expenses, and leadership.
Our work is conducted through a fiscal sponsor; what information is needed from them to apply?
If you have a fiscal sponsor, be sure to provide both the information requested about the fiscal sponsor’s organization and information about your work/proposed project including revenue, expenses, and leadership.
What do we do if the staff person who had the log on credentials has left our organization?
- If the new person knows the previous person’s log on credentials, then the new person can log on as the previous person and then change the information to themselves. NOTE: This will completely erase the previous person. or
- If the new person does not know the previous person’s or the organization’s log on credentials, please contact Angela Hom, Administrative Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-512-0500, or contact Heidi Emmel, Online Grants Consultant, at email@example.com or 415-512-0576 for assistance.
How do we print out a hard copy of our proposal?
Applicants have the ability to create a pdf of the completed application. Just click on the Application Packet button at the top of the page and this can be saved as a pdf and/or printed.